Wednesday 18 March 2015

Why Silence is not always Creatively Golden

Have you ever heard of Coffitivity? I've tried it a few times before when I want to focus on something long enough to get a task done - watching something at home on the TV or listening to the radio distracts me way too much, but sitting in complete silence drives me crazy.

~Source~
I think it reminds me too much of studying: there's evidence to suggest that as we recall information best in the environment that we learned it in, silence is best for exam based studying, but more ambient noise works better for creativity and focus. I used to use this trick all the time for helping me remember certain pieces of information - I would listen to a certain album or song while I was studying for a particular exam, and mentally hum the words to myself in the exam hall. It does work, or did for me anyway!

So in an attempt to actually focus long enough to get a budget and LinkedIn account done (success on the first, but the second is still a work in progress) I spent my Saturday afternoon after work in the Bean and Leaf, in Cork. I adore the drinks here and the atmosphere was just what I needed. If I end up doing overtime on a Saturday again, I might make this a regular productivity habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment